Table of Contents
Suikerbrood, also known as sugar bread or pain d'epices, is a type of bread that is popular in the Netherlands and Belgium.
It has a flavour that is sweet but also has a hint of spice to it, and it is produced by combining flour, sugar, honey, and various spices.
Suikerbrood is traditionally baked in the shape of a loaf or a number of little rolls, and it is often consumed either for breakfast or as a snack. Additionally, it is sometimes served on Christmas as well as other holidays and special events.
Dried fruit, such as raisins or currants, may be added to certain iterations of the traditional South African dish known as suikerbrood.
What is the history of Suikerbrood bread?
Honey, spices, and ground grains were combined with a mixture of other ingredients to make the dish known as suikerbrood, which is thought to have originated in the Middle East. It wasn't until much later that it was brought to Europe by the Romans, who gave it the name "panis imbricatus," which literally translates to "tiled bread," due to the fact that it was baked in a tiled oven.
In the Netherlands and Belgium, suikerbrood rose to prominence as a popular delicacy throughout the Middle Ages. At that time, it was prepared by combining honey, flour, and various spices. Suikerbrood was frequently offered to travellers as a convenient and speedy snack.
Today, in both the Netherlands and Belgium, suikerbrood continues to be a well-liked food item. It is typically consumed as a sweet treat or as a companion to a hot beverage like coffee or tea.
Ingredients in Suikerbrood bread
Suikerbrood is a type of sweet bread that is popular in the Netherlands. Here is a list of ingredients that you will need to make suikerbrood bread:
- white bread flour
- fast-action yeast
- warm milk
Suikerbrood Bread Nutritional Information
The nutritional content of suikerbrood bread will depend on the specific recipe that is used to make it.
In general, suikerbrood is made with flour, milk, butter, sugar, salt, and yeast, which means that it is a source of carbohydrates, protein, fat, and various micronutrients.
One serving (100g) of suikerbrood bread is likely to contain the following nutrients:
- Calories: 280
- Total fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
- Sodium: 296mg
- Total carbohydrate: 44g
- Dietary fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 11g
- Protein: 8g
How to make Suikerbrood bread:
To make suikerbrood bread, you will need the following ingredients:
- 500g white bread flour
- 10g salt
- 10g fast-action yeast
- 50g butter, melted
- 50g sugar
- 250ml warm milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread flour, salt, and yeast.
- Add the melted butter, sugar, warm milk, and egg, and mix until the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes, until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Punch down the dough and shape it into a loaf. Place the loaf in a greased 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake the bread for 35-40 minutes, until it is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.