The Benefits of Baking with Fresh yeast
Published: 14th April 2022
Yeast is a microorganism that is used to leaven bread and other baked goods. When yeast comes into contact with water, it produces carbon dioxide gas and alcohol. This process is called fermentation. The carbon dioxide gas causes the dough to rise, while the alcohol gives the bread its flavor.
There are three main types of yeast that can be used in baking: fresh yeast, active dry yeast, and instant yeast.
Fresh yeast, also known as cake yeast or compressed yeast, is the most perishable type of yeast. It has a short shelf life and must be used within a few days of being purchased. Active dry yeast and instant yeast have longer shelf lives and can be stored in the pantry for months.
Active dry yeast is yeast that has been dried and dormant. To use active dry yeast, it must be dissolved in water before being added to the dough. Instant yeast is a type of yeast that doesn't need to be dissolved in water before being added to the dough.
Instant yeast is more concentrated than active dry yeast, so you'll need to use less of it.
When baking with yeast, it's important to follow the recipe closely. The amount of yeast, the type of yeast, and the temperature of the dough all affect how quickly the dough will rise.
Here are some tips for working with yeast:
- When dissolving yeast in water, use warm water (between 105°F and 115°F). If the water is too hot, it will kill the yeast. If the water is too cold, the yeast won't be activated.
- Once the yeast has been dissolved in water, add it to the flour mixture and stir until well combined.
- Allow the dough to rise in a warm place until doubled in size. The ideal rising temperature is between 80°F
While all three types of yeast can be used in baking, fresh yeast will give you the best results. This is because fresh yeast is more potent than other types of yeast and will help your dough to rise more quickly. Fresh yeast also gives bread a more complex flavor.
If you're looking for the best flavor and texture in your bread, be sure to use fresh yeast. It may take a little bit more effort to find, but it's worth it for the delicious results.
As we've mentioned, fresh yeast is a key ingredient in leavening bread - it helps the dough to rise and gives the bread a nice, fluffy texture. While you can use active dry yeast or instant yeast in your baking, fresh yeast will give you the best results. Here are some of the benefits of baking with fresh yeast:
- Fresh yeast is more potent than other types of yeast, so it will help your dough to rise more quickly.
- Fresh yeast gives bread a more complex flavor.
- Fresh yeast is less likely to cause bread to become dense or heavy.
If you're looking to get the best results from your baking, be sure to use fresh yeast. It may take a little bit more effort to find, but it's worth it for the delicious results.